Friday, July 26, 2013

All the little things.....

A week ago today a family in Hanahan lost everything to a fire. The family has 2 young kids and I've been visiting my favorite store (community thrift) to see how far my dollar can stretch for clothes & toys for these kiddos. As I'm shopping I'm praying, God guide me to the outfits that were just like the little girls favorite clothes she lost, or the little boys favorite toys, because wouldn't that be so special to have your FAVORITE things replaced in your life if you were to lose everything?
 
So last night as Guillermo & I did a great clean-up of our laundry room which is our makeshift-everything storage room- since we have no garage (just a small shed that's filled to the brim) and I was thinking- the things that are my FAVORITE in my house are the little & silly things & basically irreplaceable things! Everything else could be purchased again on Craigslist, just as it was once before. But these things if gone, are gone forever.
 
 
2 paintings from our family, a plaque from Puerto Rico from my parents & the sweetest poem from Judah's daycare teachers years ago. Now granted these things are in my laundry room because they don't quite match the house d├ęcor in other rooms, BUT they make me so happy and I feel special to have a "piece" of my family in the form of art.
 
 And this amazing little painting I got from our cruise - to remind me of the ten days I spent with my family.  The best vacation I've had in my adult life....
 
 All the pictures I've blown up on my gallery wall, such as this picture of my Grandpa Max with the last remaining license plates he needed for his license plate collection. My family is a bunch of weird collectors and this picture reminds me not only of him, but my whole Sherman/Rushbrook/Teague family and my days at the lake at my Grandpa Max and Grandma Vivian's house- which happen to be my happiest childhood memories- my whole family going to their house.
 
All of my favorite kids! And specifically my three kids birth announcements. I remember creating these announcements with such joy & pouring over their baby pictures just marveling in the joy of new baby-ness.

 Those amazing finds you find for a few dollars at a thrift store, or garage sale or flea market that are too cool for school and you feel like you hit the bargain jackpot!
 
This amazing artwork by Quinn (1 at the time) and Judah (2 at the time).

My special stacking dolls from Europe, a sweet surprise from my sweet mother in law.
 
It's easy to get caught up to think it'd be so nice to have this, or that, but at the end of the day those aren't the things that make you happy. Or that you're so sad when they're gone- it's this stuff. The crazy, the eccentric, the weird. The 6 year old birth announcement. The first framed art your child brought home..... and things are put back into perspective.
 
The family that lost everything could use any donations if you have anything you're looking to get rid of anyways. They are currently looking for a new place to move into, so once they get that they'll need household items. Until then if you have any of these clothes you'd like to donate I can coordinate to pick them up from you.
 
Mens size XL shirt/ size 34 pants.  Womens size L shirt/size 12/14 pants, size 8 shoes.  Boys size 18 months, size 4 diapers and girls size 7/8 shirts/pants, size 13 shoe.
 
Thank you so much!
 
And the poem above that Judah's old daycare teacher gave me is the best reminder about what is most important in life.... ALL of the small things that sometimes we're too busy to remember.
 
 Every single mama should have this on her wall:
 
Mothers Pondering
 
My dishes went unwashed today,
I didn't make the bed.
I took his hand and followed
where his eager footsteps led.
 
oh yes, we went adventuring,
my little son and I....
exploring all the great outdoors
beneath the summer sky.
 
We waded in a crystal stream,
we wandered thru a wood.
My kitchen wasn't swept today,
but life was rich and good.
 
We found a cool, sun-dappled glade,
and now my small son knows
how mother bunny hides her nest,
where Jack-in-the-Pulpit grows.
 
We watched a robin feed her young
we climbed a sunlit hill...
saw cloud sheep scamper thru the sky,
we plucked a daffodil.
 
That my house was neglected,
and I didn't brush the stairs,
in twenty years no one on earth will know
or even care.
 
But that I've helped my boy
to noble manhood grow
in twenty years the whole wide world
may look and see and know
 
Author unknown

No comments: