Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Eat, Pool, Shop, Repeat.

One thing I've been so blessed by was being able to take many trips growing up. The ones that are most memorable to me are the little family trips where we spent hours at the pool each day and went shopping where I found the most hideous gorgeous puffed sleeved circa 1989 dresses on ridiculous sales with 14 matching accessories because that's how you rolled in 1989.  My family is a family of scavenger/outlet mall junkies/thrifters/flea marketers/garage sale-ers.... if bargain shopping were a sport, we'd be Olympic athletes.  So, for Memorial Day weekend we were blessed enough to have 3/4s of the Sherman clan (minus the Nizams, sadness) and went down to Charlotte! 

I like to think I am recreating the perfect little getaway memories for my kids with the Sherman vacation cycle in full force: Eat, Pool, Shop, Repeat.
And what's a vacation without doing a few flying squirrels from one bed to the other?? And trust me, these little boys are MUCH cuter than I was doing the flying squirrel as a teenager onto my sisters bed as they were screaming NOOOOO.  Yes, I was the obnoxious sister. 
And Starbucks IN the pool? Talk about luxury! (I'm sure for our sweet guys, these types of vacation events were more fun than our marathon Concord Mills Outlet shopping adventures).... 
Can you tell from their faces how excited Judah & Quinn are to be with their Uncle Will??

Before every recent vacation, we map out where we're going to eat and what we're going to do to make the most out of our trip. This trip we tried to eat at several Diner, Drive-In and Dive locations including Cabo Fish Taco and Penguin's BBQ. YUMMY. (PS. If at all possible I'd like to ONLY eat at restaurants recommended by Guy Fieri, is a diet of all grease and cheese bad for you??) 

When you have 3 kids under 5 you have to celebrate being with family who can hold/entertain the kids so you can have an adult moment or shop/eat/pool in peace for a few minutes! :) 
 We took the kids to Nascar Speedpark. I think that maybe boys are built with pistons & spark plugs as part of their anatomy because I swear, both boys were "vrooming" before they could speak and have been obsessed with race cars from about that age as well.
 It's pictures like these that I hope the boys look back on and remember these priceless, sweet moments of wonderful life together! 
 Judah & Quinn made us SOOO proud!! They both got to ride in a race car/go cart all by themselves!!! Judah was like an old pro! Stayed on the line and was like a perfect little driver!
Now, I think watching Quinn get in the car, where he could barely see over the wheel was one of the cutest things I've ever seen! I'm not sure how this adorable little 3 year old managed to learn how to negotiate a gas pedal AND steer, but he actually did an OK job for about half a lap, then he crashed into 4 cars! LOL! 
 I kept telling Judah & Quinn what AWESOME drivers they are!!! Especially Quinn, since I was blown away that he could even make that car go at all, but I hope one day when he's 16 he doesn't crash into 4 cars and think "man, I'm an AWESOME driver"!!! ;)
Despite all the activity we had some wonderful down time..... 
 And little boys who crashed even before their bedtime.....
On Sunday we went to one of my favorite churches EVER. Elevation church. Best preacher- Steven Furtik and best worship CD! Vivi wore her Sunday best, but I'll have to teach her it's not polite to flash the world your diaper after church! 
Let's hear it for the indoor water park on the overcast, rain threatening day! Woot woot. 
All in all, just a wonderful time with family..... 
 And wonderful driving with wonderful babies & helpful Mimi & Papa playing "I Spy" car games with the kids......
 And as the saying goes in the Sherman family, "when the car's full, it's time to go home"!
 See ya later Charlotte!
......but for the record, being back at home with moments like this make everyday seem like an awesome vacation!

2 comments:

Mrs Woo said...

You are brave. That being said Matilda has done great on our few ventures away from home overnight!
I think she likes the adventure!
Looks like you guys had such a blast! I love Vivi's shoes in the photo with your mom! So cool! You know London Weidberg, now Gatch, don't you? She is the worship pastor for Elevation Church in Charlotte now. Her husband Lance plays drums and or bass for their band I think.
I'm getting super excited about coming home for Christmas!!!! Maybe our babes will be able to meet!

Julie said...

I'm so glad you were able to have such an awesome vacation to Charlotte. You are making memories with the kids that they'll always have! Remember how excited we would get just smelling the pool chlorine smell of our suitcases?! I think we have some little fish that love the pool as much as we did!

First of all, let me tell you... you look goooood in that pic with you and G where you are wearing the black lace shirt! What a gorgeous pic!! You look skinny too!

You got a cute pic of Rebecca and Will, but you need that red-eye function for their light eyes.

Such a sweet pic of Quinn sleeping too. And the last one of Viviana... baby sweetness!!!

Just like Felicia... I love those silver toed baby shoes that Via is sporting at church. Can I have some of those for me?!

Love ya,
Julie