Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Foodie Adventures in the Big Apple

My computer at home died- so it's been a little while since my last post! But I got to do something amazing since the last post! My older sister Julie took me on a trip to NYC! If you were to look up "how to be a friend" in the dictionary, you'd see her face. Julie and I are opposites, in many ways. She is refined, she is quiet and calm, she is genius smart and then her loud mouth, wild, silly sister came along... she's the calm and voice of reason in my storm, she is the person I want to share all of the details of my life with and I am so beyond blessed to have her in my life.

So here is our foodie adventure in NYC, just the two of us for two glorious days!
I think at this point I wanted to thrust myself from the plane to start our trip! It's like that feeling I got
driving into an amusement park as a kid, as soon as you can see all those rides, you're so giddy you want to jump out of the moving car just to get in line already! (Or maybe that was just me??)
Seriously, probably the coolest airport sign in the world.  There is just something about NYC that is super charged, magical and alive, you can feel it from the moment you fly in.

After a skip hop and a jump flight from our respective home towns our adventure began...
This was the sight just a block from our hotel..... We decided to not go to see the statue of liberty though since we had a limited amount of time... but seeing her from afar was great!
Please take a close look at those boots. I hate you boots. I wear these boots to work almost every day, so I figured they'd be ok on my trip, but by the afternoon on the first day I had about 7 blisters and my feet felt like they were on fire. So I bought a pair of tennis shoes and we were good to go. I swear, on my next trip anywhere,  I'm wearing orthopedic shoes!!
Dancing on the keys at FAO Schwartz was something on my bucket list!!! Although I did have this idea of me being able to make actual music on that thing, but the darn kids kept messing it up. ;)  I'm not sure why at 32 years old a toy store would make me so happy, but let me tell you, I couldn't stop smiling the whole time I was there!
Nothing like dancing with a lego C3PO and having lego man fist pumping behind you....
Julie escaped near death from the derranged lego Chewie.....

So here is our foodie part of the trip:

For anyone that really knows me, you know I am about the farthest thing from a foodie. I appreciate all food, or in other words, I have an extremely unsophisticated palate, but Julie on the other hand not only makes the best food ever, but she can apperciate all the little details about food and researched all the best places to go in NYC to eat.. so this was one of the places we went: Il Mulino in Little Italy was the big meal of the trip and man, was it amazing!
Lobster spaghetti.. yummmmm. And this place had the best garlic bread and brushetta I've ever eaten. I avoided being that tourist and asking for another basket of bread and shoving it all in my purse...
That whipped topping had a fancy name, which I can't remember, but let me tell you, in my dreams, there is a giant pool of this stuff that I get to eat my way out of!
Has anyone ever warned you that Times Square at night is magic?? It's really like nowhere else I've ever been. EVERYthing is lit up, huge digital screen covering buildings, and we were shopping in Forever 21 at midnight! Crazy. We loved it! 
You'd have thought it was 8 at night is was bustling and filled with people. Truly the City that Never Sleeps.
Nothing like eating Halal food truck at 1am!  We've been craving Halal food truck ever since we left.. maybe we'll both ditch our careers and you'll see us in downtown Charleston & Atlanta manning a Halal food truck. ;) (oh, and you'd notice me, cause I'd be 800 lbs from eating halal food truck 17 times a day)
And of course, we had to stop by the "best pizza in NYC" (JUST kidding... did you see that Office episode, where Michael Scott goes to the "best" pizza joint in NYC and he goes to Sbarro??)
We ended our foodie adventure with a frozen hot chocolate from Serendipity III (have you seen the movie Serendipity?).. SO delish, but so filling!

Because NYC is so classic, I had to do a montage of B&W photos....
Julie looking like the cute new yorker (minus the giant Cannon digital camera hanging from her neck. Lol)

Chinatown! Canal Street- woo woo!
Riding the subway about 100 times, awesome, fast, stinky...
Central park at sunset. Magic.

Skyscrapers and historical gotham churches.
The best trip, with the best girl. I'll remember this trip for the rest of my life!

3 comments:

Home school Mom said...

How awesome!!! That looks like SO much fun! I have never been, but one day....I would love to go! FOOD would be an awesome reason to go too! YUM! ;))
Thanks for sharing your trip!
What an sweet memory with your sister. ;)

Julie said...

I'll always remember it too! But it can't be the last trip... it has to be the beginning of our annual girls trip! And yes, I'm all for opening up a Halal Food Truck. How great would that be? I had the best, best time on our trip. I miss you!! Love, Julie

my little kingdom said...

Such amazing pics of NYC and the fun you and Julie had! love the food pics and you on the piano! :) The B&W photos are so great! those are my faves.